Friday, January 14, 2011

May is for poppies





I have kept these for some time. I mean everything always is happening for a reason, maybe today it was the day. These were taken in 2009, in Edinburgh, in a botanical garden. Whether are these photos or Edinburgh it makes me think of Kati, who hosted me and Kadri there and then soon took off to Australia. I hope she is all right and the floods are not causing any difficulties to her and her friends.
Poppies have for me still quite negative meaning. When I grew up then I saw many Russian movies which portrayed (I think they always do, if it not a comedy) hard life in Russia. Often some leading characters were killed because of the gang related problems because of drugs. The bad plant was in those movies always a poppy. Movies is one thing, but there were many stories in the news as well of violent acts people had held to each other or deaths because of the drug made of poppies. So something so beautiful can be also something so negative and with the influences of TV. When you are a child and watch TV you NEVER think of those things, but when you're old enough to put some things together, then it really makes sense - too much and too wrong broadcasts can affect how children think. But you already know that.
One last thing about pretty poppy is its spelling in Estonian - m o o n. Doesn't it sound beautiful?

Poppies have long been used as a symbol of both sleep and death: sleep because of the opium extracted from them, and death because of the blood-red color of the red poppy in particular, a common color of poppy. (wikipedia.org)

Good night!




Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home