Saturday, November 28, 2015

Green Heron



We do have Blue Herons in Estonia, but I think that is all we have from that section. US has much more to offer in nature, as for example. I found this exotic bird for me walking by the pond where I was staying. I followed it and was able to get a shot, that is the best one (probably already published).

The green heron (Butorides virescens) is a small heron of North and Central America. It was long considered conspecific with its sister species the striated heron (Butorides striata), and together they were called "green-backed heron". Birds of the nominate subspecies (no matter which taxonomic arrangement is preferred) are extremely rare vagrants to western Europe; individuals from the Pacific coast of North America may similarly stray as far as Hawaii.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home